In this fast-paced digital age, our mobile numbers have become our lifelines, connecting us to our loved ones, business associates, and essential services. Similarly, the Aadhaar card, issued by the Indian government, has become an indispensable identity document for citizens across the nation. The symbiotic relationship between our mobile numbers and Aadhaar is crucial, as it ensures seamless access to various online services and government benefits.
However, life is constantly evolving, and so are our needs. There might come a time when you find yourself needing to update your mobile number linked to your Aadhaar. Whether you’ve switched to a new phone, changed service providers, or simply want to maintain an up-to-date record, the process of updating your mobile number in your Aadhaar is remarkably straightforward and user-friendly.
With a few simple steps and the guidance provided in this article, you can change your registered mobile number in your Aadhaar with ease. By doing so, you’ll continue to enjoy the convenience and security of having an accurate, updated contact number associated with your unique Aadhaar identification.
So, let’s dive into the process of changing your mobile number in your Aadhaar, and ensure that you stay connected to the world around you, hassle-free! But before we delve into the specifics, let’s understand the significance of keeping your Aadhaar details up-to-date and how it impacts your daily life.
Are you ready to embark on this informative journey? Let’s get started!
Step 1: Understand the Importance of Updating Your Mobile Number
- Before we dive into the process, let’s highlight the significance of keeping your Aadhaar details, especially your mobile number, up-to-date. An accurate mobile number ensures you receive important notifications, OTPs, and alerts related to your Aadhaar. It also facilitates seamless access to various government services and benefits.
Step 2: Gather the Required Documents
- Ensure you have your original Aadhaar card and a valid proof of identity to authenticate the change. Accepted documents include your passport, PAN card, voter ID, or driver’s license.
Step 3: Visit the Official UIDAI Website
- Head to the official UIDAI website (https://uidai.gov.in/) and locate the “Update Your Aadhaar” section. This is where you’ll initiate the process of changing your registered mobile number.
Step 4: Click on “Update Mobile Number”
- Under the “Update Your Aadhaar” section, click on “Update Mobile Number.” This will direct you to the Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal.
Step 5: Enter Your Aadhaar Number
- Provide your 12-digit Aadhaar number in the appropriate field. Double-check the digits to ensure accuracy.
Step 6: Receive OTP on Your Current Mobile Number
- To verify your request, an OTP (One-Time Password) will be sent to your existing registered mobile number. Enter the OTP in the designated space on the portal.
Step 7: Select “Change Mobile Number”
- After successfully entering the OTP, you’ll be given the option to “Proceed to Change Mobile Number.” Click on this option to initiate the update process.
Step 8: Enter the New Mobile Number
- Now, input the new mobile number that you want to link to your Aadhaar. Reconfirm the number to avoid any errors.
Step 9: Submit Your Request
- Once you’ve entered the new mobile number, click on “Submit” to register your request for updating the mobile number associated with your Aadhaar.
Step 10: Choose the Preferred Method for Document Submission
- Next, you’ll be asked to select the method for submitting the required documents for verification. You can either upload scanned copies online or visit the nearest Aadhaar Seva Kendra to complete the process in person.
Step 11: Upload/Visit the Aadhaar Seva Kendra
- If you opt for the online method, upload scanned copies of your proof of identity. Alternatively, if you choose to visit the Aadhaar Seva Kendra, take the original documents along with photocopies for verification.
Step 12: Wait for Verification and Approval
- Once you’ve submitted the necessary documents, your request will undergo verification. This can take a few days, so be patient while UIDAI processes your application.
Step 13: Receive Confirmation SMS
- Upon successful verification and approval, you will receive a confirmation SMS on your new mobile number, notifying you that the change has been made.
Step 14: Verify the Updated Mobile Number
- To ensure the update was successful, you can verify the change by logging into the UIDAI website and checking the “Verify Email/Mobile Number” section.
Can I use someone else’s mobile number to update my Aadhaar details?
No, you cannot use someone else’s mobile number to update your Aadhaar details. The registered mobile number must belong to you, as it is linked to your unique Aadhaar identification.
What if I don’t have any valid proof of identity for updating my mobile number?
To update your mobile number, you must have a valid proof of identity, such as a passport, PAN card, voter ID, or driver’s license. Without these documents, you won’t be able to proceed with the update.
Can I change my mobile number multiple times in my Aadhaar?
Yes, you can change your mobile number multiple times in your Aadhaar. However, each change will be considered a separate update request, and the verification process may take some time.
How long does it take to process the mobile number update request?
The processing time for the mobile number update request varies. Usually, it takes a few days for the UIDAI to verify and approve the changes. You will receive a confirmation SMS on your new mobile number once the update is successful.
Is there any fee for updating my mobile number in Aadhaar?
As of my knowledge cutoff date in September 2021, updating your mobile number in Aadhaar was free of cost. However, it is always recommended to check the official UIDAI website for any recent updates regarding fees or charges.
What happens if I enter the wrong OTP while updating my mobile number?
If you enter the wrong OTP, you will not be able to proceed with the mobile number update process. You will need to generate a new OTP and enter it correctly to continue with the update.
Can I update my mobile number using the mAadhaar app?
As of my knowledge cutoff date in September 2021, the mAadhaar app did not support the feature to update your mobile number. You need to visit the official UIDAI website and use the Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal for this purpose.
Will updating my mobile number change any other details in my Aadhaar?
No, updating your mobile number will not change any other details in your Aadhaar. Only the mobile number will be updated, and all other information will remain the same.
Changing your mobile number in your Aadhaar is a relatively straightforward process that ensures your contact information remains up to date. By following the step-by-step guide provided in this article, you can navigate the process with ease and enjoy the benefits of a seamless connection to government services and notifications.
We emphasised the importance of maintaining an accurate mobile number linked to your Aadhaar, as it plays a crucial role in receiving OTPs, updates, and alerts related to your Aadhaar. It also enables smooth access to various government services and benefits. By taking the initiative to update your mobile number, you are ensuring that your Aadhaar remains a reliable and trusted identity document in the digital age.
By successfully updating your mobile number, you are taking a proactive step towards maintaining an accurate and updated Aadhaar record. This, in turn, contributes to a hassle-free experience when availing government services and enhances the overall convenience and security of your Aadhaar card.
We hope that this article has provided you with valuable insights and guidance on how to change your mobile number in your Aadhaar. Remember, your Aadhaar is an essential identity document, and keeping it up to date is a responsibility that ensures you can fully benefit from the services and privileges it offers.
Thank you for reading, and best wishes for a smooth and successful mobile number update in your Aadhaar!